What’s permanent residence?

What’s permanent residence?

“permanent residence permit” is a permit given by the Minister of Justice when a foreigner with a status of residence wishes to change his / her status of residence to a “permanent resident”. This is a type of permission to change your status of residence.”.

The status of residence of a permanent resident is significantly relaxed compared to other statuses of residence in that neither the status of residence nor the period of stay is restricted.

Therefore, regarding permanent residence permit, it requires more careful examination than a normal change of status of residence, so there are a lot of requirements and documents required.

In addition, if your period of stay expires during the examination of your application for permanent residence, you will need to apply for a separate period of stay renewal permission by the expiration date of your period of stay.

Let’s explain in detail.


Examination points for “permanent residents”

Regarding the eligibility of the status of residence pertaining to “permanent resident”.

The review is mainly based on these 3 points:

  1. Good behavior
  2. Is there enough assets or skills to maintain an independent livelihood
  3. Acknowledge that the person’s permanent residence is in Japan’s interest.


Good behavior

First of all, regarding the good behavior of ①, it means that we comply with Japanese law and live a life that is not socially criticized as a resident in our daily lives.

To put it simply, if you do not violate Japanese laws and regulations, you are saying that your behavior is good.

Regarding this violation, it is natural that the violation of the law is a serious crime, but even if it is a minor violation of the law, it corresponds to a person who repeats the same act or a person who repeatedly carries out activities that cause great inconvenience to the local community.

For example, even if you violate the Road Traffic Act (speed violation, etc.), if you repeat it, you will not meet the good behavior requirements and you will be more likely to be denied permission.

Also, even if you have a “family stay” status of residence and a permit for activities outside your status, if you work more than 28 hours a week, you are still more likely to be denied a permit.

Let’s act in compliance with Japanese law.


Have sufficient assets or skills to run an independent livelihood

Next, having sufficient assets or skills to run an independent livelihood in (2) is not a public burden in daily life and is stable in the future in view of the person’s occupation or the person’s assets. It means that you can expect a lively life.

This independent livelihood requirement does not necessarily meet the requirement by the applicant himself, and if it is recognized that the applicant can continue a stable life when viewed on a household basis consisting of his / her spouse, etc. Treated as compatible.

In addition, if you want to change the status of residence from “Business / Management” to “Permanent Resident”, the stability and continuity of the company you manage will be examined, and if there are continuous deficiencies in the company you manage. Is more likely to be disapproved.

As a criterion for this, if your annual income is less than 3 million yen, the possibility of disapproval is very high.


It is recognized that the permanent residence of the person is in the interests of Japan

And (3) Regarding the fact that the permanent residence of the person is recognized as being in the interests of Japan, first of all, as a general rule, it is necessary to continue to stay in Japan for 10 years or more.

In addition, during this period, it is necessary to continue to stay for at least 5 years with work or residence status.

Therefore, even if you have stayed in Japan for 10 years or more, if you have been in Japan for 5 years or more with the status of residence of “College Student” or “Technical Intern Training”, you will not meet the requirements.

“Continuing” means continuing to stay without interrupting your status of residence.

If you temporarily go abroad with a re-entry permit (including a deemed re-entry permit), you will continue to stay in Japan,
but if you leave the country without a re-entry permit or while you are staying abroad and your re-entry permit expires,
your status of residence will expire and you will not be able to continue your residence.

In addition to the above, there are detailed regulations and exceptions, so please contact us if you would like to know more.


Precautions after obtaining the status of residence of “permanent resident”

Even if you obtain the status of residence of “Permanent Resident”, it may be canceled if the following five items apply.


① When the application content is false

When applying for a landing permit or status of residence, if you obtain a status of residence by creating and submitting falsified documents with false information, you will be subject to cancellation.


② If you have not received a re-entry permit

Even after receiving a permanent residence permit and obtaining the status of residence of a “permanent resident”, if you leave Japan without obtaining a re-entry permit, or if the deadline for the re-entry permit has passed after leaving Japan, the residence of the “permanent resident” Please note that you will be disqualified.


③ If you do not register your place of residence

Foreigners staying in Japan for 3 months or more must register as residents in the municipality where they live within 14 days after entering Japan.
However, please note that if a permanent resident does not submit a move-out notification for more than 90 days, or if he / she makes a false notification, the status of residence of the “permanent resident” will be revoked.


④ If you do not apply for renewal of the validity period of your residence card

The period of stay of a “permanent resident” is indefinite, but the residence card has a valid period.
If you do not renew your residence card, your status of residence as a “permanent resident” will be revoked.


⑤ If you have been sentenced to imprisonment or imprisonment

Permanent residents may be deported if they are sentenced to imprisonment. If you are deported, your status of residence as a “permanent resident” will be revoked.



How was it,
can you understand the conditions required to obtain the status of residence of “permanent resident”?

Obtaining a “permanent resident” status of residence removes restrictions on the period of stay and activities in Japan, and frees you from the visa renewal procedure and the anxiety that you will be denied permission for your next application.

Here, we have written the basic conditions for the status of residence of a “permanent resident”, but there are some detailed rules and exceptions, so please contact us if you would like to know more.